Friday, February 22, 2008

Re entering the US and missing a race

The Western Hemisphere Security Initiative came into effect 3 weeks
ago and caught me off guard. I had just been to Canada the week prior
when a driver's license was fine. Now a driver's license alone is no
longer good enough for re-entry. I was hoping to race in Canada this
weekend but my passport has not been returned (it was supposed to have
been) and I am unable to locate my original birth certificate. Without
either of these documents I will be able to enter Canada but not
re-enter the US. I have withdrawn from the NorAm Cup race in La Patrie
to avoid any border crossing headaches. My paperwork should be in
order by next weekend's race in ValCartier, Quebec.

I am disappointed to be unableto support those who support me. The support of my sponsors allows me to participate and I feel I owe them the best representation I can
give back to them. Missing an event bums me out. I'll find a silver
lining, make lemonade, choose your analogy and I'll soon get over the
disappointment of missing the race. The sting of missing out on an
opportunity to support my sponsors at a race really hurts and will
stick around for a while. I am most disappointed for my lack of
preparedness. I guess I took the ability to move about the world for
granted. I had thought I had taken the proper amount of time for
passport renewal according to the government estimates. I can blame the
feds but ultimately I should have been more prepared and submitted my
renewal sooner.

I sent an email to the equipment sponsors filling them in on my missing the race and they were all very gracious about it. If you get a chance visit the websites of my sponsors. Here are the links:

Fiocchi ammunition www.fiocchiusa.com
GoFaster boots and bindings, Ski Trab www.moresnow.com
Izhmash rifle www.raacfirearms.com

The Ford Sayre Silver Foxtrot 10k freestyle race is this Saturday 2/23 and I think I'll burn off my frustration and gain some more insight into ski racing at the event.

Enjoy the weekend and stay warm, Kevin

No comments: